St John's Church, Dundee - Ref: WC1440
Built in 1843, St John's Church was the first Free church to be built in Dundee. Situated in Small's Wynd, the church, and its Nethergate manse, were purchased by the founders of the University College, Dundee. The church closed in 1884.
A new church, with an imposing spire, was built on the corner of Perth Road and Roseangle. This is still in use today. (2001) The church in the photograph is now demolished and the site still forms part of the University of Dundee's campus.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.