St John's Church, Dundee - Ref: WC1439
After the City Churches were burned down in 1841, and following the Disruption, St John's congregation split into the Established Church and the Free church. The Established church moved into a Gaelic Church in South Tay Street while the Free congregation built the church in this photograph in Small's Wynd.
The church, and its manse in the Nethergate, were purchased by University College, Dundee and by 1884 the church closed. By the time this photograph was taken the congregation of St John's had already moved to a new church, also St John's, in Roseangle.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.