St John's Church, Dundee - Ref: WC1437
St John's Church was the first Free church to be built in Dundee. Situated in Small's Wynd, it was built in 1843 following the accidental burning of the City Churches in 1841 and the Disruption. The church and manse were purchased by University College Dundee and the church closed in 1884.
A new church was built in Roseangle, also called St John's, this church has an imposing spire and is still in use today. (2001) The church in the photograph has been demolished, the site is still part of the University of Dundee's campus.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.