St Andrew's Cathedral, Dundee - Ref: WC1871
St Andrew's Roman Catholic Cathedral is situated on the Perth Road. Gothic in design it was built by the architect, George Mathewson. The cathedral opened on the 7th August, 1836.
Despite its deceptively narrow appearance, the cathedral is a large, deep building designed to seat about 1,2000 people. It also has a magnificent interior. The halls in the basement served for years as the only Catholic school in the city.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.