Springfield, Dundee - Ref: WC0607
This photograph from the Alexander Wilson Collection shows Springfield, a series of 'Regency terraced houses' with 'Greek Doric porticoes', dating from 1828. The only information about its building is the fact that it is the work of an Edinburgh architect.
Among the residents during Alexander Wilson's time were three ministers, Rev. James Wilson (Dudhope Crescent Road U. P.) at No. 17, Rev. George Smart (School Wynd U. P.) at No. 22, and Rev. William Smith (St Paul's Established) at No. 23.
The latter house was taken over by Carlaw T. Martin, later director of the Museum of Science and Arts in Edinburgh. Mrs Mary Souter, the 'costumier' of Maison Souter in Nethergate, lived at No. 9.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.