Shore Terrace, Dundee - Ref: WC0603
This photograph shows the eastern section of Dundee's Shore Terrace, with Dock Street leading further east to the right of the picture and the junctions of the southern end of Castle Street and the western end of Exchange Street to the left of centre.
The Dundee Music Hall, as it is labelled here, was originally built in 1828 to a design by 'the somewhat obscure' George Smith as David M. Walker's 'Dundee architecture and architects' puts it. It was designed as the Exchange Coffee House.
Later the building became home to one of Dundee's leading printers, Winter's. When the building was vacated by them, a French restaurant took over, taking advantage of the elegant staircase and surviving fresco work in the vestibule to add ambience.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.