"Selkirk" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0906
No vessel called the "Selkirk" has been traced in Lloyd's Register for the period in which Alexander Wilson took this photograph. The Dundee Directory for 1888 does, however, report a visit to the city by the "County of Selkirk".
This iron four masted ship was built by Barclay, Curle and Co., of Glasgow for R and J Craig of Glasgow in 1878. She had a gross tonnage of 1943 and measured 281 feet in length.
The "County of Selkirk" (with another unidentified ship to the left, and Dundee's city gas container behind) called arrived at the port on 15th April 1888, having been at sea for 104 days.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.