"Seafarer" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0905
The "Seafarer" was a steel four masted barque, built by W H Potter and Sons, Liverpool, in 1888 for the Seafarer Ship Co., Ltd., managed by W H Potter and Sons. With a gross tonnage of 2211, she was 281.6 feet in length.
The Dundee Directory records one visit to Dundee by the "Seafarer": she arrived in the city on 20th February 1889 with a cargo of jute from Calcutta, having spent 133 days at sea.
In the background of this photograph by Alexander Wilson, the Dundee city gas tank can be seen. The sterns of two other ships are also visible, but these have not been identified.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.