School Wynd, U.F. Church, 6 South Lindsay Street, Dundee - Ref: WC1800
The church in this photograph was built in 1825. It replaced an earlier church, built in1746, which had been located to the north of this church. In 1876 an organ was installed and the interior was renovated in 1888.
George Gilfillan was minister of this church for 42 years from 1836 until 1878. The building seen on the left in the photograph was the premises of Alex. Birnie, photographic dealer.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.