Royal visit decorations, High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC1680
Photograph from Alexander Wilson collection. View of corner of High Street/Reform Street looking up the Overgate.
The photograph shows a good selection of Bill posters on the side of a building - above Nathan & Co. Jewellers & Opticians and Patterson' Shoe Shop. Horse and cart with driver lying sleeping
In Dundee Advertiser on 16 August 1899 - Lord Provost H McGrady and Thos Thornton Town Clerk declared a Public Holiday on Saturday 26 August 1899 for the Royal Visit to open Victoria Hospital for Incurables and unveil statue of Queen Victoria
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923