River launch in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0984
The vessel in this photograph would be more accurately described as a schooner-rigged steamship. She is berthed in Earl Grey Dock in Dundee, alongside West Dock Street.
Clark and Sinclair, the fruit merchants, are first listed at Nos. 9 and 11 in the Dundee Directory of 1897-98, with Alexander Williamson, a cabinetmaker at No. 8. Nos. 10 to 14 were primarily residential blocks.
James Sharp at No. 15 was an oilcake merchant. Oilcake was imported from the Baltic countries and Russia as fodder for livestock. A. Spence and Co., grain merchants, owned Nos. 19 and 31, as well as 7-8 Dock Street and No. 1 Yeaman Shore.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.