"Riga" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0899
This photograph, which comes from the private collection of a Dundee jute factory manager, Alexander Wilson, shows a wooden two-masted schooner, the "Riga" in the north west corner of King William IV Docks in the city's harbour.
The other two vessels in the dock are unidentified, that at the lefthand side being a topsail schooner and the other an early puffer or coastal steamer. Behind them is Dock Street, with the City Assembly Rooms of 1828 just right of centre.
The street leading away to the north is Castle Street. The spire in the background is Sir George Gilbert Scott's St Paul's Cathedral, built in 1853. Built for Bishop Alexander Penrose Forbes, its interior includes mosaics by Salviati and reredos by Scott.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.