Repairing tramlines in Hilltown, Dundee - Ref: WC1051
Alexander Wilson showed a particular interest in the different means of transport which developed as the city of Dundee expanded. This photograph shows work on one of the tramlines and dates from after the electrification of the tramways system.
There were two tram routes at this location, one running up Victoria Road to the right, and the Blackness to Downfield route, which ran up Hilltown (the sharp incline to the left).
The two public houses at the foot of the Hilltown belonged to Alexander Inglis (No. 1) and William R. Hood (No. 5). The elegant apartments on the corner were known as Elsinore Place (No. 3 Hilltown).
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.