Reform Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0551
This photograph shows corner of Dundee's Reform Street, leading northwards to the right, with High Street, leading to the west towards Overgate to the left.
Strathtay House was No. 2 Reform Street. Adam Smail specialised in boys' and youths' clothes. This was the first shop in the town to have an American-style electric 'elevator'. No. 6 Reform Street was the rubber goods manufacturer Laird & Alexander.
No. 8 was A. G. Kidd & Son, confectioners, who also had shops in Princes Street and Hawkhill. The general printers at No. 49 High Street were John Durham & Son. Alexander Tulloch, the hatter, was at No. 50, and J. & J. Peat, the clothier, at No. 52.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.