Perth Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0527
The junction of Roseangle (leading off to the south-west and left) with Dundee's Perth Road is the focal point of this photograph by Alexander Wilson, taken from near the south end of Airlie Place.
The church is St John's Roseangle-Ryehill Church, designed by James Hutton in 1884, originally named St John's Free Church. Box 172 of Dundee Central Library's Lamb Collection includes various documents, including the sermons preached at the opening.
The block in front of the church (now removed) was No.s 118 and 120 Perth Road. Residents in 1900 included the watchmaker William Hunter,Miss McNaughton, who owned a wool warehouse, and the telegraphist Christian Duncan.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.