"Pengwern" and "Nile" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0882
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the "Pengwern" in Dundee Harbour, two weeks after she arrived from Calcutta with a cargo of jute for processing in the city's mills.
Built in 1882 by Russell and Co., of Greenock, for the D W Davies of Liverpool. She had a gross tonnage of 1648 and measured 256.1 feet in length. Her voyage from Calcutta had lasted 145 days.
Lying astern is the "Nile", an iron four masted barque, also built by Russell and Co., in 1886 for W Douglas, of Glasgow. She had a gross tonnage of 2163, was 283.5 feet long, and visited Dundee at least twice with jute.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.