Overgate, Dundee - Ref: WC0511
The junction shown in this photograph is that of Dundee's Overgate with Barrack Street leading to the north (going leftwards here) and Tally Street (which led, unseen here, southwards to the Nethergate).
The Swan, a public house in Barrack Street, advertising (among other things) Ballingall's India pale ale, belonged to David Stewart, owner also of the family grocer's business at No. 59 Overgate. No. 57 was the wine merchant William Reid.
Crawford's, the boot manufacturers, were No. 53, The Dundee Stores (perhaps the grocers E. & R. McHardy?) at No. 49, James Gray, 'practical watch and clockmaker', at No. 43, and David McLeod, the bootmaker, at No. 41.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.