Overgate, Dundee - Ref: WC0514
The north side of Dundee's Overgate, which was primarily a shopping area, is seen here at the junctions with Barrack Street, which led to the north at the left hand side, and Tally Street, which led south to the Nethergate to the right.
William Reid (previously of No. 57) has moved to supply 'high class provisions' at larger premises at No. 59. John Atkinson the fruiterer was at No. 57. The canopies mean that the adjoining businesses cannot be identified.
John Herd, draper and clothier, is only listed as a traveller at No. 3 Barrack Street (though his shop is directly above two Overgate addresses!) in the Dundee Directories of 1901-03. At other times, he is listed with his home address (15 Speed's Lane).
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.