Overgate, Dundee - Ref: WC0495
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows Dundee's Overgate leading away to the east, towards the Lindsay Street junction, which is slightly to the north of the Old Steeple, which can just be made out in the distance.
On the north side, Jane Ann Gibb, a confectioner, ran The Mayflower Coffee Tavern at No. 189. Beyond that is The Overgate Curiosity Shop. On the south side, No. 186 appears to be the 'Original boot and shoe repairing shop': there is no listing.
Nor is there any information in the Dundee Directory about No. 188 'The Auld Dundee Rock Shop'. Most of the other properties in the photograph combined retail outlets with living quarters. Unfortunately, no others can be identified here.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.