Overgate, Dundee - Ref: WC0507
This photograph shows the eastern end of Dundee's Overgate, where it meets the High Street near the so-called Monk's House (where the general of that name held residence during the occupation of the city).
No. 29 Overgate was the Dundee Equitable Boot Depot, No. 23 the spirit dealer, Robert Methven, and No. 21 R. & J. Dick, boot and shoe manufacturers. No. 17 was George Masteron, tinsmith, plumber and gasfitter.
No. 15 was The Golden Locket, a jeweller's shop owned by Herbert J. Cohen, and No. 13 the offices of A. & R. Lickley and Alexander Barrie, houseagents. The Foreign and British Emporium, dealer in hardware and fancy goods, was Nos. 1-11.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.