Overgate, Dundee - Ref: WC0508
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the north east side of Dundee's Overgate where it meets the High Street near the so-called Monk's House (named after the general who resided there during the city occupation).
No. 21 Overgate, The Ploughman's Cap Shop, belonged to James T. G. Millar, who owned a steampower cap and hat works at No. 121 Hawkhill. No. 19 was the pawnbroker, William Stratton. No. 15 was Herbert J. Cohen's The Golden Locket.
William Petrie, the watchmaker and jeweller, was at No. 9. J. Ramsay's confectionery and luncheon and coffee rooms are not listed in the Dundee Directory. The jewellers at the right were perhaps J. & J. Fleming.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.