Overgate, Dundee - Ref: WC0510
The north side of Dundee's Overgate is the focus of this photograph by Alexander Wilson, which reads west to east from left to right, where it merges with the city's High Street.
A. & R. Lickley and Alexander Barrie, houseagents, were at No. 13, The Golden Locket (a jeweller's shop) was owned by Herbert J. Cohen at No. 15, with George Masterton, tinsmith, plumber, and gasfitter at No. 17.
The Foreign and British Emporium is not listed in the Dundee Directory. J. & J. Fleming's jewellery marked the end of Overgate. John Durham & Sons, the printers, were No. 49 High Street, with Alexander Tulloch, the hatter at No. 50.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.