Overgate, north side, Dundee - Ref: WC2140
The street Thorter Row, seen in this photograph of the Overgate, dates back to the fifteenth century. The street name is possibly a corruption of the word "athwart" as it ran between the High Street and Overgate.
The shops seen in the photograph include, on the corner, Mrs William Stewart's, bootmaker. On the other side, S Nathan, jeweller and a wholesale warehouse belonging to J A Lalor.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.