Overgate and North Lindsay Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0500
This photograph shows the crossroads of Dundee's Overgate and North Lindsay Street, with the Court House, which stands on Bell Street, in the distance.
John Burnett & Sons, the family baker, had three shops including the one at No. 119 Overgate. The others were at No. 11 Scouringburn, and 25 Lochee Road. John Burnett lived at No.45 South Tay Street.
No.121 Overgate was S. Blair, stationer, John Gouick, the ironmonger as at No. 123, and the draper, James Wilson, was at No. 125. According to the entry in the Dundee Directory for 1904-05, his shop was called 'Bonanza', and he lived in Broughty Ferry.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.