Overgate and Barrack Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0501
This photograph shows the junction of the Dundee Overgate leading east and right to the right, Barrack Street leading north, Mid Kirk Style leading west . The road leading from the right is Tally Street, which led southwards to the Nethergate.
William Reid the grocer is listed in the Dundee Directory at No. 59 Overgate, with William Grant the butcher next door. The latter also had a shop at No. 56 West Port, and lived at Agnes Cottage, Blackness Road.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.