"Nile" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0879
The "Nile" was an iron four masted barque, built in 1886 by Russell and Co., of Port Glasgow, for W Douglas, of Glasgow. She measured 283.5 feet in length and had a gross tonnage of 2163.
This photograph was taken by Alexander Wilson some three weeks after the "Nile" had arrived from Calcutta with a cargo of jute. The voyage (the second the "Nile" made on that route) lasted 163 days.
The previous trip (which ended in Dundee on 31st March 1888) had only taken 154 days. After arriving, the cargo would be unloaded and the vessel repaired and re-painted.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.