Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0426
Alexander Wilson's photograph of the north side of Dundee's Nethergate shows the west end, with the twin spires of St Enoch's church (strictly speaking in Long Wynd, but listed in the Dundee Directory as No. 75 Nethergate) in the distance.
Mrs E. Dunn, the 'game dealer and poulterer' at No. 27 was Isabella Dunn. She remained at that address until after the First World War. Edward Wilson was an upholsterer and carpet warehouse, established 1798, at No. 29 Nethergate.
At No. 33 P. & P. Campbell were dyers, as were J. Pullars & Sons of Perth at No. 47. Edwin Fraser the photographer had studios at No. 55. Daniel Dailly's baby linen mart was at Nos. 61 and 63. His son, also Daniel, was a wine dealer at No. 39 Lochee Road.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.