Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0429
This photograph shows Dundee's Nethergate looking to the east, with the Town House spire in the distance (and in High Street). Tally Street runs northwards to the left (Ferrier's Photographic Studios can be made out above the City Churches railings).
The canopies at groundfloor level are on the corner of Union Street, which leads southwards to the railway station. The elegant building with a sign for Moon, Langlands & Co. actually belonged to Draffen & Jarvie, having been sold to them in 1889.
James Rattray, the watch and clock maker, jeweller, and gold and silversmith at No. 32, remains on the site in 2000. In 1894, Rattray lived at No. 25 Windsor Street, while George D. Rattray, watchmaker, lived at No. 19 Louise Terrace in Broughty Ferry.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.