Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0454
This photograph shows the short section of the south side of Dundee's Nethergate between Whitehall Street in the east at the left hand side and Couttie's Wynd at the right.
William Millar's supply stores is listed up to 1897-98 in the Dundee Directory at No. 38, as 'grocer and Italian warehouseman'. The next year, he re-located to Nos. 74-76 High Street. According to his son's obituary (1940), Millar came from Kirriemuir.
J. B. Hurrie had shops at the north end of Whitehall Street and No. 32 Reform Street. He lived at Annan Lodge in Broughty Ferry. Rattray, listed as 'manufacturer of church, turrt and school churches' was founded in 1850.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.