Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0458
This photograph is taken from Dundee's Nethergate, looking northwards along Tally Street, with St Mary's church (one of the City Churches - it was also known as the East Church) at the left (and west).
Ferrier's photographic studios are listed in the Dundee Directory as No. 1 Tally Street. The 'manufacturers of silver electroplate' below was A. L. Reis, a watch importer, etc., at Nos. 17 and 19 Nethergate.
No. 11 is something of a mystery, in that the Confectioner and chocolate warehouse is listed in no Dundee Directory. John Thomson, without any details, is listed at that address. The optician was Miss J. Austen, Melville House was a draper's shop.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.