Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0461
This photograph shows Dundee's Nethergate, looking westwards towards the Queen's Hotel, where it merges with Perth Road. The Fine Art Saloon at No. 81 belonged to the Gonnella family, originally from Barga in Tuscany.
The Dundee Directory for 1893-94 lists J. Gonnella & Co., modellers, figuremakers, and importers of Italian sculpture. Three members of the family (Francesco/Frank, Giuseppe/Joseph, Luigi/Louis) served as Italian consul.
Francesco, who lived at No. 34 Fleuchar Street, was awarded the Chevalier of the Order of the Crown of Italy in 1918. Luigi, who resided at No. 60 Magdalen Yard Road, was 'an accomplished sculptor', and a member of The Italian Circle.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.