Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0466
The south side of Dundee's Nethergate is shown in this photograph, with Couttie's Wynd at the west and right, Whitehall Street in the mid centre, and the spire of the Town House just visible in the east.
Albion House at the right was owned by William Philip, 'draper, silk mercer, upholsterer, and general outfitter', listed in the Dundee Directory as Nos. 40 and 42 Nethergate. Philip himself lived at No. 6 Duntrune Terrace, Broughty Ferry.
By 1891, the Moon, Langlands & Co. was owned by Draffen & Jarvie, listed as Nos. 8 & 10 Nethergate and No. 1 Whitehall Street. John Jarvie lived at Balhousie, Perth, William at No. 8 Louise Terrace, Broughty Ferry, George Draffen at Duneaves, West Ferry.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.