Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0482
This photograph from Alexander Wilson's collection shows the south-western section of Dundee's Nethergate, with Sea Wynd leading southwards at the right hand side, the spire of St Paul's Meadowside at the centre and the Royal Hotel in the distance.
J. N. Davidson & Gray were the chemists at No. 128a. The Singer Manufacturing Company (whose Dundee agent was Peter Brand) were at No. 128. No. 126 (below Lorne House, for which no information is to hand) was James R. Martin, a hosier.
No. 124 was Methven, Hyslop, 'cabinetmakers, upholsterers, undertakers and houseagents', and No. 122 Methven Simpson & Co., musicsellers 'to the Queen'. They were among several music publishers in the city at the end of the 19th century.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.