Nethergate, Dundee (north side) - Ref: WC0436
This photograph was taken by Alexander Wilson from the south side of Dundee's Nethergate at the point where it merges with the city's High Street, perhaps from the northern end of Crichton Street.
W. H. Melville is listed as 'silk mercers, drapers, tailors, dressmakers, mantlemakers, milliners and general outfitters' at Nos. 9-13 Nethergate and No. 29 High Street for several decades. He lived at Dunvarlich in Wormit.
Some buildings are decorated for a civil event, perhaps the Queen's Diamond Jubilee of 1897, when various parades and pageants took place. The Dundee Arms restaurant at No. 31 High Street was owned at that time by Emile A. Hugon.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.