Murraygate, Dundee - Ref: WC0400
Dundee's Murraygate shopping thoroughfare is shown at its western junction with Commercial Street in this photograph.
The manager of Bodega (importers of Spanish wines, etc., at No. 3) in 1896 was R. R. Durie. The umbrella manufacturer, M. J. Prophet, was at No. 5, and the Imperial Auction Saloon at No. 7.
At the left hand side of the photograph is 'The Corner', another of Dundee's leading businesses, owned by G. L. Wilson, who lived in a villa called Esley in West Newport, which had previously belonged to the widow of Rev. George Gilfillan.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.