Murraygate, Dundee - Ref: WC0394
The original caption of this photograph is not quite accurate. The main focus is the north-east end of Dundee High Street, its confluence with Commercial Street and then, leading into the distance, Murraygate.
No. 84 High Street was the grocer, William Hazell, the Maybole Dairy was No. 85, the Book Mart at No. 86 was run by Mrs H. McGregor, a bookseller and stationer. No. 88 housed the clothiers, John Frazer & Sons, and No. 90 John Jamieson & Co.
'The Corner' was William Menzies' wholesale dressmaker, milliner and retail drapery business, listed in the Dundee Directory as Nos. 2-6 Murraygate and No. 73 Commercial Street. Other branches were in St Andrews, Montrose and Arbroath.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.