Murraygate, Dundee - Ref: WC0399
This photograph shows the south side of Dundee's Murraygate, with Horse Wynd leading southwards to Seagate at the left hand side.
The fruiterer at No. 87 was John Newsome. The agent for the British Linen Company Bank, at No. 83 (built in 1858 to plans by David Cousin), was J. Arbuthnott Smith, while the accountant was D. Brand.
William McBurney's china rooms (he had another branch at No. 68 Nethergate) were long a feature of Dundee's business scene - according to advertisements of the time, he offered 'special prices to parties furnishing: inspection solicited'.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.