Murraygate and Panmure Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0388
This photograph looks south-eastwards along Dundee's Panmure Street into the Cowgate, with Murraygate leading to the west at the righthand side.
Robert Davis, the 'cash clothier' to the left hand side, was at No. 22 Panmure Street. Milne's Tobacco Factory is not listed in the Dundee Directory for 1906, and the sign may be a relic of previous usage of the building at the end of the Murraygate.
Dundee's 'practical and manufacturing hatter' at No. 85 Murraygate was James T. Millar. The Dundee Directory also lists shops at No. 21 Overgate and No. 104 Hawkhill, with works are 121 Hawkhill. He lived at No. 328 Blackness Road.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.