Murraygate and Cowgate, Dundee - Ref: WC0685
Alexander Wilson stood in Dundee's Wellgate to take this photograph, which shows the meeting of Cowgate from the east and left, and Murraygate leading west south west. Panmure Street (unseen) leads west north west from the same point.
The 'costumier' at the left was Nathaniel Sutton. James Cunningham, owner of the News Box at No. 1 Cowgate, acted as agent for the Caledonian Railway. Esplin & Co's offices at No. 7 Cowgate, often listed as Tannage Court. There is no china shop listed.
These buildings were demolished in around 1905 to make way for the New King's Theatre and Hippodrome. T. G. Millar, 'the only manufacturing hatter' was at No. 85 Murraygate, while the Dundee Football Club had offices at No. 81 (not clearly marked here).
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.