Meadowside, Dundee - Ref: WC0377
This photograph reads west to east from left to right with the south end of Dundee's Constitution Road at the left at the junction with the west end of Meadowside.
The cart is standing outside the offices at No. 8 of the Police and Water Commission. Dundee Central Library's Lamb Collection has financial records and minutes of meeting of the Commission in the 1870s.
The coach builders, Thomas Cuthbert & Son, were originally based in Perth. George Cuthbert came to Dundee as a young man, building carriages for railway companies. The Meadowside works closed in 1898, when the General Post Office was built on the site.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.