Meadowside, Dundee - Ref: WC0379
This photograph shows a building referred to on early Dundee insurance plans as Meadow House, which stands on Meadowside between Panmure Street to the south (and right) and Meadow Street to the north.
In 1896, it was home to the Dundee Warehousing Co., and the Equitable Fire & Accident Offices, which were both managed by W. F. Soutar, who are listed in the Dundee Directory as jute merchants. William F. Soutar lived at Annfield in Carnoustie.
M. C. Thomson & Co., Albert Pincus & Co. are both also listed as merchants at the same address, as well as D. Moodie & Co., bleachers. M. C. Thomson's works were in Arbroath. David Moodie lived at Balmuirfield, near his works (at Balmuir).
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.