Meadowside, Dundee - Ref: WC0411
This photograph shows the north side of Dundee's Meadowside which stands opposite the Howff graveyard, taken from somewhere near the north end of Reform Street.
Though none of the buildings is clearly enough marked in this view, the Dundee Directory reveal that they included Thomas Cuthbert's coachworks in the distance, the Police & Water Commissioner's Office (treasurer James Smith, cashier Finlay Farquharson);
After the offices of three solicitors' firms (Anderson, Gardner & Hepburn, D. Gordon Stewart and J. & J. Ogilvie) came those of the Gas Commissioners, at No. 16, with Alexander Ross, a pipelaying foreman, and John S. Watt, a gas inspector, at No. 18.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.