Meadowside, Dundee - Ref: WC0370
This photograph shows the junction of the west end of Meadowside in Dundee with the south end of Constitution Road.
The Cuthbert family had a long tradition of coachbuilding. The first builder in Dundee, George Cuthbert, was born in Perth, son of the founder of the company. George Cuthbert was the first in Scotland to build railway carriages.
The Meadowside establishment was opened in 1880, until the site was acquired for the erection of the new General Post Office (to plans by W. W. Robertson) in 1898, when Cuthbert's had to remove to Ward Road.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.