Meadowside, Dundee - Ref: WC0371
This photograph shows part of the south side of Meadowside in Dundee, known as Albert Square, with Commercial Street leading southwards to Dock Street at the extreme left and Chapel Street to the east of it.
The Venetian palazzo-style building at the right is The Eastern Club, built to plans by Francis T. Pilkington of Pilkington & Bell of Edinburgh in 1870. The building was demolished to make way for a new Trustees Savings Bank (TSB).
Dundee Central Library's Lamb Collection (Box 118) has various rule books and financial statements for the Club. In 1874-75, there were 220 members paying £5, with 24 new members paying either £25 or £22 10s. Costs included £685 for servants.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.