Meadowside, Dundee - Ref: WC2119
This photograph of the south side of Meadowside shows the Eastern Club, which opened on 2nd May 1870.
The Wellgate Library's Lamb Collection (Box 118) holds many financial reports and Rules & Regulations for the Club, which was demolished to make way for what is now the Lloyds TSB bank.
Also in Lamb 118(7) is a list of wines, etc., including Medaille d'Or 1874 champagne at 12 shillings and sixpence (63p) per bottle, and Dublin Guinness at threepence (2p) a pint.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.