Market Cross, Dundee - Ref: WC0452
This photograph of the south side of Dundee's Nethergate was taken from the end of South Lindsay Street. Russell's Royal Hotel stands at the north end of Union Street. The trees are in the grounds of the city churches.
At the righthand edge of the image is the Greenock Worsted Store at No. 82 Nethergate. Nos. 78 and 80 were styled Maison Souter by the 'milliner, dressmaker, mantlemaker and juvenile outfitter', Mrs Mary Souter. She lived at No. 9 Springfield.
No. 68 was John D. Cameron, dentist ('manufacturers and fitters of artificial teeth', according to the Dundee Directory). George Sime's consulting rooms were at No. 64.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.