Market Cross, Dundee - Ref: WC0481
Alexander Wilson took this photograph of the south side of Dundee's Nethergate from the end of Lindsay Street, with the Mercat Cross (a 16th-century column topped by a replica of John Sutherland RSA's 'Unicorn') in the City Church grounds.
Russell's Royal Hotel, at No. 54 Nethergate, one of the city's best at the time, stands at the junction of that street with Union Street, which leads southwards to the railway station. The dentist George Sime's consulting rooms were at No. 64 Nethergate.
The Violin, mandolin & banjo studio is not listed in the Dundee Directory, but James B. Dunn, a musicseller appears in 1901-02 and 1902-03 at No. 70 Nethergate. No. 72 was the goldsmith Peter Mackie.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.