Lindsay Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0333
This photograph shows the junction of Lindsay Street and Overgate, behind the Old Steeple (part of the City Churches).
William Low's shop is listed in the Dundee Directory as 115 Overgate. At that time, William Low had shops in Dundee, Stirling, Lochee (listed as a separate town!), Perth, Forfar, Leeds (!), Kirkcaldy and Glasgow.
According to a printed price list from 1886 preserved in the Wellgate Library's Lamb Collection, Dundee Cake sold for 5d (five old pennies).
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.