"Indore" and "Euterpe" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0818
The "Indore" was an iron three-masted full-rigged ship, built by Richardson, Duck and Co., of Stockton on Tees in 1885 for Eyre, Evans and Co., of Liverpool. She had a gross tonnage of 2146 and was 279 feet long.
The "Euterpe" was an iron four-masted barque built for the German company B. Wencke Soehne in 1884 by the Barrow Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. She had a gross tonnage of 2052 and overall length of 290.7 feet.
The "Indore" brought jute from Calcutta to Dundee in 1888, the voyage taking 124 days. The "Euterpe" also brought jute from Calcutta in 1888, but her passage lasted only 115 days.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.