Horse-drawn brewer's dray in Overgate, Dundee - Ref: WC1020
This photograph from the Alexander Wilson Collection in Dundee Central Library shows the city's Overgate, just to the east of the junction with Tally Street, looking eastwards to the High Street.
The caption refers to the two wheeled cart on the north side of the street, here delivering barrels of beer to one of the several wines and spirits merchants in that part of the city, possibly David Stewart.
William Crawford, at No. 53 Overgate, was a bootmaker (who lived at No. 55). In between the two, William Reid was a grocer, while No. 51 was home to the Operative Tailors' Hall, W.P. Saunders the printer, and David Ritchie, an auctioneer.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.